Tag Archives: sewing

Ercol Windsor Sofa and Chairs

I spotted this little beauty on EBay last Autumn.  A cute little Ercol Windsor 2 seater settee – and two matching armchairs!

   
 As soon as I saw it I thought ‘summer house’ – perfect!

However, first problem – it was a few hundred miles away in a remote area in the North of Scotland.   Secondly and this is a biggy – no summerhouse!   

It was going for a song – probably because of the location so I bid and it was transported home by an antiques dealer who was delivering up that way, so then I stored it away all winter, waiting for the summerhouse to be built in the Spring.   You may have seen the summerhouse post so my little treasures now have a home.   

I decided to discard the back cushions altogether because they made the suite look a bit too homey.   

  
The base cushions are in good condition and so I just gave them a bit of ‘oomph’ with some polyester wadding and covered them in a steel grey cotton upholstery fabric, with piping in the same fabric.  

  

 The scatter cushions are covered in Prestigious Rowan fabric in mimosa and again, I added piping.   The wood was ligthtly sanded a to remove and scratches and then gives a couple of coats of clear Matt Ronseal.   

I am thrilled  with the result.   The pale wood, the size and proportions and fresh print fabric is just perfect in our little summerhouse.   

The lady from whom we purchased the suite had had it from the 60’s and had owned it from new.   I hope she would like what we’ve done with it.

I’ve seen many fabulous refurbished  Erocol pieces on the web and on Pinterest when I was onlooking for ideas. There are many, many creative and inspiring people giving new life to these classic pieces of furniture and I probably would never have attempted this project without seeing their ideas.    I’ve added a couple of ‘before’ photos just so’s you can see where we started out and hope you like how it all turned out.

   
 

Advertisements

Kimono/Cami Combo

P1020381

So many beautiful Kimono Jackets around at the moment. I really wanted to try making one in silk.

I sent for this lovely feather printed Italian Silk from Shaukat.  They have an amazing range of printed and plain silks, including Liberty – thanks to The Little Tailoress (Ami Lowden) for recommending this retailer.

P1020368

Not being very adventurous (and having a permanent black/grey/neutral thing going on) I sent for this fabric and just love it. I had intended to line the jacket in black silk, however as the pattern ran through both sides of the fabric I decided against this and I’m so glad as the jacket has a waterfall effect front.

I opted for Model B in Simplicity 1726 . I’m sorry but this pattern does make me smile, the two jackets and the shell tops have endless possibilities – but the cape!!!!! Well enough said.

Simplicity 1726
I french seamed the side and sleeve seams (all two seams!) and hand rolled the sleeve edges, and all the outer edges. This was quite time consuming but quite relaxing also when you get into the stride .

P1020375P1020371
The camisole top I decided to draft myself using my very favourite French Connection cami as a pattern. I used black silk crepe from Stone Fabrics which was only 14.95 per metre and a very good quality.

This little outfit has been worn time and again throughout the summer (even though it’s basically black) and will be worn all winter too in the evenings, with the bottom half of my uniform – black skinny jeans or black leggings. I bought a great statement necklace from J Crew and the colours and sparkly bits really complement the jacket and camisole.

p.s. The very (not so) shy and gorgeous dog in the photo is our little Norwich Terrier, Max.