Pretty Little Vesta

This little antique sewing machine was sadly in need of some TLC!

P1010924The base and case were suffering from damp and the machine itself needed a complete overhaul and clean.   Dating from 1913 or earlier  (it is stamped ‘Made In Germany’) the little Vesta is a 3/4 size handcrank sewing machine with a long bobbin and transverse shuttle.

P1010926The decals are floral in red and gold and the crank handle is lovely white porcelain.

P1010882

I think what most attracted me to this machine though was the wooden base which has inches and centimeters markings inlaid along the front and a tiny red velvet pincushion on the lid of the accessories compartment.

P1010928

It took a couple of days of dismantling, cleaning, oiling and rebuilding to get the machine ready to sew, but only 20 minutes to get the tension and stitching adjusted.   It sews beautifully and the bobbin winder works perfectly too.

P1010929

I used my little Vickers to make Harris – the patchwork pin dog and I’ve also used it to make wool braid at the upholstery class I’ve been attending.

Last weekend I finally got around to repolishing the carry lid and it has come up beautifully.   Luckily this little machine came with all its original attachments and the original key (these are so often mislaid) so  I decided to attach the key to the lid handle with some black grosgrain ribbon.

P1020055

Now – this really and truly is my very last antique machine refurbishment –  well apart from the old Vickers still hiding in the garage!!!

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Pretty Little Vesta”

  1. Hi The Vesta looks lovely. Ive just got a Sylvia (Vesta’s little sister). Its almost identical except for the name and I need to refurb the wooden case as it looks a bit sad. Can you let me know what you used to polish your case please?

    Julie

    1. Hi Julie.

      I just love this little sewing machine and it stitches beautifully.

      The case on my Vesta was in quite a bad way. Some of the veneer at the edges had lifted and some small areas had gone completely. I used a very thin injection of wood glue to fix the loose veneer then clamped this till the glue set. I then sanded down the entire case and cleaned with white spirit. I used Colron Wood Reviver to bring some life back to the wood and what a difference that made. I then used Colron Finishing Wax applied with very fine wire wool, just as per the instructions (two coats of wax). Finally I buffed up the wax with a soft cloth which brought up a really nice natural sheen to the wood. I was really pleased with the results as the case really was in poor condition.

      Good luck with your Sylvia case – I’m sure it will be lovely and please send me a photo if you can.

      Thanks for your lovely comment.

      Ann x

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s