My lovely son and his girlfriend Kirsty live in a beautiful flat in the Dean Village area of Edinburgh.
In the Workshop – Finished!
Looking very sad and neglected the chair spent a few nights in our kitchen where all the battered finish was removed from the wood before it was stained a dark mahogany shade.
Even though the cushions were burst and worn it is a really comfy chair and has a relaxing little ‘bounce’ because there are springs underneath as well as in the back.
This was to be an upholstery experiment for me, however I well chickened out and decided to take it to the upholstery classes I’ve been going to on Saturdays (see previous post -Captain’s Chair). I’ve learned so much at Colin’s class – and you get to use real tools! http://colinjohnsonfurnishings.co.uk/
Firstly the chair was stripped right back to the frame. The flock wadding was to be reused in the new upholstery.
The next step was to introduce some bounce into the seat base with stretch webbing (or big elastic as a sewer would see it).
Once the original wadding was stitched into place some additional wadding was added for comfort and lower back support.
The fabulous yellow velvet upholstery fabric came from Cotton & Chintz in Edinburgh, chosen by Chris and Kirsty, and I decided to use this for the back, with the addition of covered buttons in the contrasting grey velvet.
For more contrast, I added grey piping to the reverse side of the back before closing with the yellow velvet. I was given a free rein as to where and how the fabric was used.
Finally the cushion. This was hard work and the piping was stitched on the Singer 66 Treadle machine in the upholstery workshop. This old machine can really handle anything. I have a hand crank model 66 (see previous post) which I used to complete the piping at home.
With a bit of brute force the new cushion interior was inserted into the cover and zipped closed. Won’t be taking that apart again in the hurry!
I really enjoyed this project. Hard graft with the hammer and nails and a great experience at the class with Pauline and Menina, two lovely ladies, also trying upholstery for the first time.
My next upholstery project is a pair of matching antique carver chairs I first recovered in Laura Ashley stripe fabric a very long time ago (and hope to do better this time around).