And Here’s One I made Earlier!

My New Year’s Resolutions are all underway now – only one problem!   Not enough time.   Working full time and now going to an upholstery class all day Saturdays doesn’t leave much time for sewing (need to consider giving up work!).   The upholstery is going really well though – hard work but loving every minute and I hope to be posting the results soon.   My sewing project ‘the Red Jacket’ is going very slowly so I thought I would post some bits and pieces I made in 2013, so here we go.

The Madmen Challenge Dress

I took part in the challenge last year as I am a HUGE Mad Men fan.   This was my ‘Betty’ dress, but it could be a ‘Joan’ or whatever.

ImageImage

I based my dress on Simplicity Jiffy 4429 from the early 60’s.  The pattern was really easy, with only two pieces, but I misjudged the sizing badly as the sides needed taken in by about 4 inches total. This was also a pattern for a tall lady so 4 inches also came off the hem length. I french seamed the dress and fully lined it with cream habutai (also french seamed). I used a concealed zip and it went slightly wonky at the back v neck so I disguised the problem with a self covered button. I then decided to go all out and make a self covered belt and buckle. The buckle kit and belt backing came all the way from ‘A Fashionable Stitch’ in the USA.   Please ignore the wrinkly elbows and the bingo wings.

Image

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s